Most online classes are under $1,000, and live classes are closer to $3,000, for most training companies. While shopping for a home inspection training provider, you need to look closely at the value the $1,000 to 3,000 brings. Here are a few questions you need to ask the providers you call:
- What, specifically, do I get for my investment? Several companies will throw a lot of materials at you to make it appear as though they’re the best choice. Be wary of this school, because too much information is usually a cover for inadequate materials and/or inept instructors. Too much information slows the learner’s progress while they sift through the fluff and vague material to get to what’s relevant to getting your career started.
- What is the experience of the instructor(s), and is it possible to speak directly to them? Ever had that one teacher or professor where the two of you just weren’t a good match? Paring up with an instructor that doesn’t teach to your learning style could be disastrous and when spending $2,000-3,000, to sit in their classroom, you want to make sure they’re a good match for you.
- Do they have past students you can speak to in your area who will provide them with a good review/recommendation? Google reviews are great, and most companies survey students, but we know first-hand how some companies pick and choose who to send a survey to based on the likelihood of a positive review. Be weary of the company with 100% positive reviews.
- Do they take valuable class time to give you a sales pitch on their products and materials? While you need to know what tools and software you’ll need to start your business, there are better ways to get the message out than a sales pitch from an instructor receiving a commission on what you buy.
- Do they have a sample of their training you can view? Companies that call a promotional video as a sample of their training may be compensating for poor quality materials, technology, or presentation skills.
- Do they teach the marketing side of the business? All the technical and communication skills and a pat on the back saying, “Go get ‘em, Tiger!” aren’t enough to help you launch a successful business. Ask the training company if every instructor teaches the marketing in every class.
HI-TEC thinks like a school AND a business. That means foundational education and innovative offerings. We’re here because we’ve worked for the biggest schools in the country and do home inspections every month! We know what the students want, what they need to be successful, and how to best provide everyone with the knowledge and skills required to make home inspections a lifelong career. We don’t make sales pitches in class, and we do teach the marketing in every class so you can get licensed, get marketing, and start recouping your investment right away.
Give us a call at 877.51.HI.TEC and let one of our admissions experts help you get the answers you need!